18 January 2009

For Buttermilk

On a tiny scrap of paper, is the reason my pancakes turn out fantastic. The reason I've never needed to buy a quart of buttermilk for a recipe that calls for a cup. This is quite possibly the best cooking tip/trick that I know - passed down from my Grandmother to my Mother to me...

For Buttermilk
add 2 tablespoons of lime, vinegar, lemon or grapefruit juice to 7/8 cup of milk.

My Notes: I've adjusted this tip in my everyday cooking to make measuring a bit easier. I use 2 tablespoons to 1 cup of milk with no problems. I've found that lemon is a fairly easy acid to use as most people have a bottle of lemon juice in their fridge. Vinegar has the advantage of offering different flavor options to enhance your dish. Case in point: For apple pancakes/waffles in the fall, I use Apple Cider Vinegar to give my buttermilk that extra kick.

No comments:

Post a Comment